1 May, 2019 | Match & Coarse | News2 Comments
Canal Pairs Championship Launches into 2019
The Canal Pairs Championship is back for 2019!
Sponsored by Dynamite and organised in partnership between the Canal & River Trust and the Angling Trust, the Championship will see sixteen regional qualifying heats taking place across England with further heats being held in Wales, Ireland and Scotland (see full list below)
In what is one of the biggest events on the UK match fishing calendars, competitors score points based on the weight of fish each pair catch, with up to six pairs in each heat going through to the Grand Final on Saturday 19 October 2019. The Grand Final will be held on the Shropshire Union Canal with pegs at Little Onn and Norbury Junction.
Prize money for the 2019 competition final, which is subject to entry, could total over £18,000 between the top four pairs. Last year, canal first-timers, David Gough and Paul Middleton stormed to victory on the Trent & Mersey Canal, picking up a handy cheque and a huge Dynamite voucher. Who will be this year’s winners?
Here’s a short video from top canal ace’s Lee Wright and Dan Jones with some tips on how to approach the event:
Applications for tickets will open early next year via the Angling Trust’s online booking system at a cost of £40 per pair per qualifier. This makes the contest one of the most affordable ‘Big Finals’ in the whole match calendar.
2019 Canal Pairs Qualifier Dates
• Saturday 18 May – Foxton, Grand Union Canal (Wellingborough Nene Angling Club)
• Sunday 19 May – Soudley, Shropshire Union Canal (Hodnet Angling Club)
• Saturday 1 June – Wombourne, Staffordshire & Worcestershire Canal (Wolverhampton Angling Association)
• Sunday 2 June – Gloucester & Sharpness Canal (Winget Angling Club)
• Sunday 16 June – Coventry Canal (Tusses Angling Club)
• Sunday 30 June – Grand Union Canal (Luton Angling Club)
• Saturday 6 July – New Junction Canal (Doncaster & District Angling Association)
• Sunday 7 July – Newry Canal (Newry Canal Match Group – Ireland)
• Saturday 13 July – Forth and Clyde (Scottish Federation for Coarse Angling)
• Saturday 20 July – Aire & Calder (Doncaster & District Angling Association)
• Sunday 21 July – Rochdale Canal (Todmorden Angling Society)
• Sunday 4 August – Aylesbury Arm (The Tring Anglers)
• Saturday 10 August – Coalyard Betton Wood, Shropshire Union Canal (Hodnet Angling Club)
• Sunday 1 September – Shebdon, Shropshire Union Canal (Hodnet Angling Club)
• Saturday 21 September – Shardlow, Trent & Mersey Canal (Pride of Derby Angling Club)
• Sunday 22 September – Loughborough, Grand Union Canal (Quorn Angling Club)
• Saturday 28 September – Whixall, Llangollen Canal (Hodnet Angling Club)
• Saturday 28 September – Froxfield, Kennet & Avon Canal (Reading & District Angling Association)
• Sunday 29 September – Lancaster Canal (Pike Anglers Club-Lancaster Canal)
The Canal Pairs Championship Final will take place on Saturday 19 October on the Shropshire Union Canal – one section at Little Onn and another at Norbury Junction.